Monday, February 13, 2012

Ballaghbeama Gap, County Kerry


Road going through the Gap




Macgillycuddy Reeks still cloudy







Standing stone or landmark close to one of the lakes




















Farmhouse in the Bridia Valley

Lough Brin on the left and road trough gap on the right



















Ballagbeama Gap is a small road between the mountains and connects the Glencar region to the road to Sneem or Killarney or vice versa if you happen coming from the other side. I went there yesterday morning and parked the car right in the middle of the gap where the information display is situated. From there I walked up on the left hand side, or better north side of the mountain. The ground is still very wet and slippery but the climb was easy enough and the sun made it a joyful exercise. This is the great thing about Kerry, once you have a dry day it will be hard to beat with any other location by the beauty of its scenery. I went up Knockaunattin Mountain with a hight of 784 meter. I could see Kenmare in the distance sunflooded and the Macgillycuddy Reeks with  some wonderful clouds hanging at the top.
To my surprise there were a few lakes up there. One of them had what appears to me like a standing stone right next to it now leaning down. The blue of the sky was very intense and the farmhouses near Lough Brin and on the other side in Bridia Valley were well to spot. The air was clear after all the rain we had in the recent past. After lunch I started my way down which was a challenge and I ended up several times on the wet ground. The tripod did a good job  as walking stick but I still slipped and fell. The camera was well protected in my Lowepro flipside AW400.
The photos were taken with a 50 and 100 mm macro lens and polarizer filter all on tripod.