Thursday, August 02, 2012

The Image in the Photo





The camera that I´m using creates a rectangular photo due to the sensor shape. It is similar to the 35mm film format. When I took the photos above I knew I had to crop them somehow as there was to much of that white wall for my taste. The photo on top is a crop of number two and number four  is a cropped version of a photo like the number three. When you take photos do not let the physics dictate your artistic creativity. All modern digital cameras create big files that can take a crop with no problem of loosing image quality. The real substance of an image is sometimes hidden and needs to be released by cutting and reducing the elements.
Try always different angles and most important do a portrait and landscape version of the same shot. You will be surprised how different they can be and you have the freedom to decide later what you prefer. I could see myself using my old Hasselblad just for the full square format alone. The photos in that post were taken with a Hasselblad lens on a Canon body. Just for fun and test purpose. Below are some other photos that I took last night, the harbour in Portmagee is always a place for interesting photos.


Aperture 8
Aperture 2.8
Aperture 5.6
All photos Canon 5dmkII with 2.8 Zeiss Planar for Hasselblad