Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Good Morning Kerry

My neighbor Pat

Ballycarbery Castle

Fisherman leaving the harbour

On my way to the Community Centre in Ballinskelligs this morning I met my neighbor Pat just feeding his cows. Pat lives alone and owns a goat and a dozen cows. Once a week he walks for one hour to Rosie´s Pub for a pint. He has no car and sometimes I give him a lift home. Pat is a gentle quiet man. I asked him this morning if I could take a photo as the cows were just munching away.

 In the office in Ballinskelligs I was greeted by Karen with a friendly"How are you" and some exchange about the nice morning we have. A lovely lady,Karen.
 I drove to Cahersiveen to do a bit of shopping.Most shops were still closed. I started in the french coffee shop "Petite delice". I got three different type of freshly baked baguette and a coffee and a croissant. The bakers little boy stood in the shop and played with a paper stapler. I ask him if he liked to staple my bread bag and he smiled happy and clipped the bag together. Finishing my shopping I stopped at the marina to have a look at the water. It was very calm and the Old Barracks reflected in the water. I took a couple photos when a man arrived and we started chatting. He used to work for Lufthansa in Shannon. His name is Dermot. As we talked I noticed a small boat coming from the marina going towards the bridge. I took some more photos. The boat turned and approached us standing on the pier. A man popped his head out and asked if we would like to come for a spin in the harbour, to the bridge or to Ballycarbery Castle. As I have only photographed the castle from the mainland I was wondering what it would look like from the sea on a fine morning like this. Our skipper Pat( no.2 this morning for me) had a dog and introduced himself and the dog. We jumped into the boat and drove slowly and relaxed over to the castle. I took some photos but due to low tide we could not get to close to the shore. I had only the 50mm lens with me. I looked down and saw the sandy ground in the clear water. The sky just started to get a bit of colour when we drove back to the pier. A fishing vessel left the habour. Just as we approached the marina a big seal turned up and the  head  glanced at our boat.
 We said thank you and good bye to Pat and me and the other man called Dermot parted too. I had a great smile on my face when driving home. What a great place to be. What a wonderful world today. Long may it last.
©Michael Herrmann 2013